Monday, October 5, 2009

How to Properly Utilize your MBA

(or at least, how I use mine). First, and foremost, I did manage to have a career with Shell for over 11 years, during which we were able to save enough to send both girls to college. Since then, my main "career" has become a combination of driving the girls around to activities and helping with homework. Mind you, raising children is certainly the most important job any of us can do, regardless of whether or not we also hold a paying job. That said, there are days when I love my job, and days when it's a definite pain in the rear. Last week was busy -- Tom was in Calgary so it was just me. We went to one high school open house (Cabrini High) on Thursday. Friday, Maggie had a girl scout meeting and Abby and I went to the library. Then home where I actually cooked "real" food (chicken broccoli stir fry). AND TOM CAME HOME!

Just in time for a crazy routine Saturday. Maggie had spent the night at a friend's house Friday. Tom went to pick her up while I took Abby to a different friend's house to study together. Then I took Maggie and a 3rd friend to ballet. Tom picked Maggie up at ballet and I got Abby from her friend's house. I took both of them to piano lesson, and took Maggie back to her first friend's house to study together. THANKFULLY the mom brought her home Saturday evening. Did I mention that this all happened in 3 different "suburbs" near where we live? We're in Metairie, Abby's friend is in River Ridge, and Maggie's ballet is in Kenner. 30 minute round-trip to ballet, 50 minute round-trip to River Ridge. Piano is only about 7 minutes away. YIKES! Thankfully that's a bit out of the ordinary.......

Yesterday Maggie joined me at church. He completed a series on broken-heartedness and how God can use tragedy and pain to strengthen our faith. I truly felt this last week when I was down -- lots of prayer and reading truly helps. We got home and Maggie buckled down for studying, literally almost the entire day. I began watching the Saints and our friend came over -- he's the guy that actually introduced me to Tom about 14 years ago. Here from Houston for some conference. We "entertained" with football and carry-out Chinese food (such the hostess!). Nice to visit (and I got to watch the game as well).......

Meanwhile, the bulk of Tom's family was in California for the latest baby's Baptism. It's unfortunate that the timing didn't work out for us to join them, but as many of you know, when the spouse travels and the kiddo's start having exams, timing gets difficult. Hope to see them all for Thanksgiving......

This week the girls have quarter exams. Abby starts today, Maggie starts tomorrow. They have Friday off, then Maggie is camping with Girl Scouts this weekend. Abby and I are doing a 5K walk Sunday (her first!). The only thing I don't enjoy about the walks is missing church which really fills me with joy.........

Hope all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment