Saturday, May 23, 2009

Welcome Summer!

So much for the rain that was predicted for today -- sunny , mid-eighties and perfect here! Summer is officially starting and life is relatively good. Although we ARE quite busy for a "holiday" weekend. Tom left today for a week in Holland for work. Both girls had ballet rehearsals this morning and Abby and I had her violin recital rehearsal. Maggie is over at a neighbor's house swimming or something (I told her she needs to come home "sometime" tonight and will probably go get her about 8 or so). Abby and I are enjoying "parallel activities" (one of my former co-workers used this phrase to describe herself and her husband on those evenings when he'd be reading his book and she hers). After the violin rehearsal, we headed to the library. She's read the Harry Potter series 2.5 times through and was looking for something new. She wasn't really interested in the collection of Nancy Drew that my sister-in-law provided. So we went to the library. First, she helped me choose my selections (actually, I think she more observed my selection method which is to find a stack where there's an author I like and just pick random books, read the blurb, and either put them in my pile or put them back). 6 books later we headed to the kid's section. Found her a few books, checked ourselves out, and headed home. Played a game of cards and then we've been reading this afternoon -- I finished one book and have started another. She's almost read one of the new ones she's gotten -- she reads fast like I do, but, unlike me, she actually remembers the stories! It's so funny to see characteristics of yourself in your kids. Maggie looks like Tom and Abby looks like my pictures as a child. But Maggie's body shape is more like mine and we think Abby takes after Tom's sister Kathy. Abby and I are quite content to be alone and love to read. She, like me, doesn't need to be "entertained". Maggie, on the other hand, was already bored after 2 hours at home yesterday afternoon -- the FIRST day of summer break! Tom's a mix -- my observation is that he can keep himself entertained most of the time, but other times he's on a "search" of something new and/or exciting.

Last day of school was relatively non-eventful. I dropped the girls off at school and headed to the gym for 4 miles on the elliptical. Back to school where I arrived just at the start of the awards program/8th grade graduation. I was able to see Maggie receive her award for straight A's for the second year in a row (in that she takes after BOTH her parents!). That particular award starts at 5th grade, so Abby's not eligible for another year -- she, however, gets high grades too!!!! This was a tough year at school in that during the first quarter the school was closed for a week while everyone was evacuated for Hurricane Gustav which was quickly followed by the suicide of one of the 4 sons whose parents opened the school. He and his brothers are the ones who currently are running the school and it was quite a blow. However, it was amazing how the faculty and staff rebounded -- teachers volunteered for re-assignments, students came closer together, former students stepped in (notably in coaching the swim team). It is a small school (Maggie's grade has 41 students, Abby's grade around 60), but it is in itself a family -- many children are now second-generation students, many teachers are former students, etc. I have been so pleased with our choice for schools, and despite this years tragedy, I remain steadfast in my support of the school. Maggie's got one more year (she'll start high school in 8th grade) and Abby has 4 more years there.

Hard to see Tom leave this morning. He's been so busy with the bathroom renovation upstairs that it seems we have so little time to connect with one another. On the one hand I'm thankful that he's got a "forced" week off from the project, but I do anticipate it being DONE! The girls and I play to do some shopping this week for bathroom accessories -- shower curtains, toothbrush holders, etc. Tom's gotten towel racks and that sort of thing, so we're on the "soft goods" side of the equation. I'm trying not to be resentful that Tom's gone for the 3rd year on Memorial Day holiday -- given that his boss is Dutch and his team is global, I appreciate it is difficult to not infringe on SOMEONE's holiday, but come on! Three years is more than enough! I remember the first year in Holland when we had to work Thanksgiving -- we did take 1/2 day off and went to some colleague's home for dinner (his wife was American and insisted on celebrating each year). But the following two years I just worked and dreamed of football.

Tomorrow the girls and I will go to church -- my pastor is out of town for the weekend and we'll have a guest pastor. Then we're planning on seeing "Angels and Demons" and following that with a piano lesson. Monday, Abby's going to a friend's in the morning and not coming home until the following day. I'm hoping Maggie will get a friend over for early afternoon thru Tuesday as she's my child that needs "entertaining"!!!!! After that, our only plans for the week are to be out of the house when it's being cleaned Wednesday -- probably to see "Night at the Smithsonian"......

Happy Summer to all!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment