Sunday, May 24, 2009

Confrontation and Pajamas

What, you may ask, do confrontation and pajamas have to do with one another? Well, they're just two topics on my mind today. At church this morning we had a guest pastor (Charlie Berg from the Bible Center in Luling, LA) and he spoke on the confrontation of Paul to Peter as outlined in Galations 2:11-14. Maggie really got something out of it ("I really understood what he was saying") and I did, too, but for perhaps different reasons. Since I've been a member of this church, this is the first time that I've heard a different speaker. That, in itself, was an "event" and this particular topic is, I believe, relevant to ALL of us. Who among us is NOT adverse to confrontation? What, exactly, gets our shackles up? For me, it's most usually when someone does wrong against my children, or, unfortunately, in traffic (ugh!). I, like many people, hate confronting others, and avoid it at all costs. I'll even "hide" via e-mail confrontation, whereas I do believe that face to face is the best way. In any event, part of his message this morning was that Paul, inconfronting Peter in front of others (rather than as outlined in the book of Matthew regarding church discipline -- yet another topic with which I have concern), didn't follow the proscribed "model". However, Paul wisely recognized that there is a time and place to follow the "rules" and a time and place to not do so. In this particular example, Peter is being admonished for "falling back" into the legalism that preceded the grace of God through Jesus' death and resurrection. Peter found himself (for whatever reasons) letting the "rules" and norms of his society drive his behavior rather than "walking his talk" -- namely with regards to the Gentile believers in Christ. Paul rebuked him in front of others, not only to remind Peter of what the gospel truly is (by the grace of God, Jesus died for OUR sins and was raised from the dead) BUT to also remind the others in the region of Galatia what THEY should remember. When I was still working for Shell, the CIO at that time was big on reminding us to all "walk the talk" -- another gentleman I worked with spoke it more eloquently -- "your actions speak so loudly I can hardly hear what you are saying".......

As for pajamas -- pajama time is my most FAVORITE time of the day (ok, I do have several "favorite" times of the day, among which is when I drop the girls at school and when I pick them up from school). Pajama time signifies that I am "done" for the day -- no more errands, no more running around town, no more "chores". It is time to relax and be "done" for the day. Note that pajama time can occur at ANY time of the day! You take of your make-up, take off the jewelry, and put on the most comfy clothes you own. BLISS! Today it occured about 6:30pm.....

In other news, Tom arrived safely in Holland. We actually "saw" a movie together today -- after church the girls and I went to see "Angels and Demons" (some scenes were a bit more graphically violent that I'd really want my children to see -- hence the PG-13 rating). Right when the movie started, Tom called, indicating that he'd be going to see the same movie in about 30 minutes. So, we "saw" it together. For me the most interesting aspect was that although in the books "Angels and Demons" comes before "The DaVinci Code", the movie turns the order around (which you are reminded of a couple times). But I believe they did a good adaptation and the three of us enjoyed ourselves (and closed our eyes or ears when we didn't like what we saw/heard).

Happy Memorial Day to all -- I personally hadn't realized that this was originally a holiday to celebrate (0nly) the veterans of the Civil War until I moved south of the Mason-Dixon line. In Ohio it seemed a more "sacred" day at which time we really welcomed in summer despite the fact that we still had more school days and the temperature didn't always cooperate. Down in "Dixie" there are many schools that will meet tomorrow (some making up for hurricane days) and many companies don't close (I believe Shell actually is in office tomorrow given that "instead" they get Mardi Gras off -- only in New Orleans!). In any event, have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment