Saturday, May 16, 2009

Saturday

Saturdays around here are always busy. Actually, Saturdays have been busy for me ever since graduate school. When I was in school, Saturdays were for all those chores -- grocery, housecleaning (OK, so that one only took 5 minutes due to my low 'standards' for cleaning!), etc. Once I started working, I did do a bit more with housekeeping, but it was still a minimum and Saturdays were still full of errands. Even after kids and the advent of a housekeeper, Saturdays were STILL about errands, now with children in tow. When we lived overseas, our first au pair could drive and would do the bulk of the grocery shopping (THANKS Doreen!) so Saturdays were more free and we were able to explore the country. Our second au pair didn't drive, so once again, Saturday mornings saw me at the grocery to do the "bulk" shopping (she'd pick up small loads during the week -- THANKS Aina!). When we moved here, at first Saturdays were completely free. For the first time in my adult life, I was not working or in school, so weekdays were the time for the bulk of the chores. Ah, freedom. This lasted about a year, and then the girls began ballet -- Saturday mornings taken up. As they've gotten older, more ballet has been added (especially for Maggie, for whom it is a passion). Piano also happens on Saturdays, due to a wide variety of reasons. So Saturdays are NOT for relaxing around here. Today we didn't have piano (that's been re-scheduled for tomorrow), but Maggie's been studying for exams and Abby and I were required to attends a rehearsal for her violin recital. Still a busy day. Do I have an answer? Nothing that will solve everything. While I dislike all the driving, I feel a strong desire to enable my daughters to enjoy their interests and pursue them to their ability. Many times I feel over-scheduled (even though I thrive on routines and schedules!), but I am torn. I did enjoy our 6 month respite in Houston after hurricane Katrina when we had NO commitments, but I also loved getting back to "normal" when we returned home. Nothing is ideal.

Tomorrow will be a less-hectic day. I'm looking forward to church. He is doing a series on "Crises in the lives of the saints" and so far has covered Noah and Abraham. I like the structure and, after studying Hebrews this year in Bible Study, am enjoying further learning on the Old Testament saints. No matter what I think I know about the word of God, every time I hear or read it, I pick up something new -- truly a "living word". After church, more studying with Maggie and a late-afternoon piano make-up. Then onto the final week of school -- half-days of exams Monday-Wednesday, Thursday off, and Friday out by 10am. WHEW!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment