Monday, May 18, 2009

The joys of Monday

After a thrilling weekend spent studying for exams with Maggie (Tom helped Abby), Monday came in with chilly weather -- only in the 70s which, for this time of year, is downright cold (can you believe I actually grew up in Ohio???). Had to get out long pants again.....In any event, dropped the girls at school, headed to the gym (4 miles on the elliptical if you care) and the grocery. Strange assortment in the cart today. The girls are home for lunch this week, so there's that. Then I volunteered to purchase several items for the VBS at my church (5 bags of Tostidos, 250 napkins, 6 packages of handi-wipes). And, of course, there was that coupon for buy one, get one free on a candy bar (I DID give them to the girls!). Quickly home to unpack and put away the groceries before heading out to pick up the girls (noon dismissal). Home with them for lunch (they already ate all the blueberries), and in a couple hours out again to ballet. The people we usually carpool with for ballet had a graduation this weekend, and are skipping class in order to study for exams (smart strategy if you ask me!). So Abby and I will enjoy Starbucks while Maggie has class.

Church yesterday was interesting (again -- seems it always is to me!). Maggie went with me as she wanted study time afterwards and Tom's church lets out about 45 minutes later and usually includes lunch which adds another 45 minutes. In any event, he continued on the topic of "Crises in the Lives of the Saints" with Joseph. Although I've read about Joseph, the particular crisis he focussed on was one I wasn't familiar with -- where the wife of his master attempts to seduce him, and when he refuses and runs out, accuses him of attacking her. Joseph's response was to remain silent, no protests at all (turning the other cheek, a prelude to Jesus). In our society, this is so not the way we react to accusations, even when we are not guilty as was Joseph. We immediately raise our voice to proclaim innocence. I'm as guilty of this as the next person, and, in fact, I cannot imagine NOT defending myself, even when innocent. Interesting. Joseph was imprisoned for not doing anything. Not quite sure what to think about this one -- on the one hand, I appreciate and understand Joseph's complete faith in God that He is in control and what happens is what is meant to happen. BUT (you knew there'd be a but, no?), I cannot see this actually playing out. Perhaps on occasions (for "minor" accusations), but when I am truly innocent and unjustly accused????? Just waiting for the other party to realize that fact and keeping silent meanwhile????? MMMMMMMmmmmmmmm, not so sure. Guess there's another thing to work on!

Meanwhile, back to cooking dinner since we'll get home about 6:30 or so tonight.....

No comments:

Post a Comment