Monday, August 17, 2009

2 in one day.....

Another quick one.....as we're slowly getting ready for school to start (Thursday cannot come soon enough!), today was a (boring) errand day. First to the library where we encountered the traveling exhibit from the National Holocaust Museum. As we'd just been at the museum last week, we decided to check this out. By no means to I mean to discount the horrors for the Jewish people, but so often people overlook the other groups that were persecuted. I truly recognize that Hitler had a particular hatred for the Jews and that more of that group of people were killed than any other, but I also feel that we need to remember the other people persecuted -- the gypsies, homosexuals, people with disabilities (there was one book in the museum about the treatment of deaf people at the camps), and even Jehovah's Witnesses. I never thought myself a particularly "kind" person, but I cannot imagine doing to other people what happened during the war. Yikes!

However, the exhibit at the library was about the book burnings that took place (Duh, it's at a library!). Another one of the things that we forget about in light of the other horrors. I love books. I love even books I have absolutely no desire to read. I respect books. I love the fact that in this country I can read just about anything I want and have access to it as well. Yes, there are books I prefer my daughters to not read (at least at their current age), but I am completely NOT in support of banning books for any reason. Just because I find something offensive, does not (in my mind) mean that you cannot choose to read it -- God gave us free will for a reason, and we can all choose as we wish. Off the soapbox for a bit. Anyway, the library exhibit was about the banning and burning of books, with photos and videos. Another atrocity wrought by an indescribably horrible man.

In any event, on to the library. While we were on holiday we visited many book stores. I have enough Brigden in me that I am rather cheap and prefer to get books from the library to buying them. So I wrote down about 30 or so books that I wanted to get at the library. Ours only allows you to reserve 15 at a time, so I have several remaining on my list. Today I decided to search for one of them that I'd seen at the bookstore at the Holocaust Museum. ARGH! The book is listed as LOST. WHAT HAPPENED TO IT!!!!!!! I wanted to read it! How can a book be lost? Does that actually mean someone took it? Where's that respect for books?????

Okay, I've vented and I feel better. BTW, if anyone finds a copy of "Girl in the Red Coat" by Ligocka (call number 940.5318), please let me read it!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment