Thursday, September 24, 2009

Looking forward to things

I try not to look forward to too many things in life in an effort to enjoy the "right now" more. That said, I am definitely a planner (much to my husband's chagrin!). Part of my rational for planning is that my primary job is taking care of 2 people who are pretty much incapable of fully caring for themselves (don't know how to do laundry, can't drive, no credit cards, etc. etc.). SO, if I'm not available for them, I need to "plan" to have someone else there. Enter Tom stage right. All that said, I am REALLY looking forward to this Saturday -- I get a day off with a friend I met in Houston. Our children (Abby and her son) were enrolled in the same kindergarten after Katrina. She lives in Slidell (east of New Orleans). Her husband travels extensively and, 3-4 times a year treats her to a weekend "off" using hotel points. So I'm meeting her Saturday morning at the Ritz for a day of pampering at their spa. Bliss!

Reality sets back in on Sunday when Tom leaves for Canada.....

In other news, Maggie is not going to dance Nutcracker this year. The performance was scheduled the weekend preceding winter exams (unlike other years when it's been the week earlier) -- not only for her school but also for all the high schools. She tried out and was excited to hear that she'd been selected for a solo part this year. However, when she got the "official" sheet she'd also been selected for 3 other parts -- a bit much on top of 5 classes a week (at least in my opinion -- Tom already considers 5 classes a week excessive). So, she accepted for 3 of the parts. Apparently, that's not an option -- it's "all or nothing". So, after lots of talking and tears, she's opted out this year. Not a happy decision at all. While I appreciate that this performance is the biggest money-maker for the ballet school, I find it unreasonable that young girls should be expected to dance so many roles. Without an option to "choose". But that's me (and the mom of an affected girl!). We'll see what happens eventually.....now the director needs to fill 4 roles rather than just the one Maggie didn't want to dance.....

Abby continues to do well. She's really coming along on her violin (who knew?) and is composing music for her latest hobby -- she shuts herself in the dining room with the piano and writes out all the notes and everything. 9 is just about as sweet as 8 was, though there is certainly more homework in 4th grade as well as more responsibility.

As for me, I continue to time my "enjoyable" activities around the girls' schedules -- everything "must" get done between 9 and 2!!!!! And this pretty much includes anything that requires me to be out of the house, including grocery shopping.....never a dull moment!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, lucky you! I agree it's total bliss to have a spa day (as well as a day without kids!) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete