Friday, December 31, 2010

New Years 2011

Here I sit, comfortably in my pjs, writing in my blog. Last year we were at my sisters with friends of theirs, playing pictionary (boys vs. girls, girls managed to win!). This year, at home, Tom's on the computer/xbox/something shooting something, I'm almost done with a book, and the girls have friends spending the night. And I'm in my pjs, so it's a GREAT evening (and I'll make it up to 12, but not far beyond that!). Life is great, God is most generous (especially to this undeserving soul), and I adore my family. Can't ask for anything more in 2011.....

Christmas was GREAT for all of us. Tom's cataract surgery was a success. Vision is definitely a blessing -- can you imagine life without it? The day afterwards, he and my dad went to see "True Grit" while the girls and my mom enjoyed "How do you Know?". That evening we all went to Muriel's on Jackson Square for dinner. That's my new favorite local "fancy" restaurant. WOW!

Friday (Christmas Eve) saw me at the gym for yoga and a relaxed day afterwards. This was the first year that all participated in the stuffing of stockings. Side-note -- in my family, I believe that the stockings are the high light of Christmas. While there is nothing included of "great" value, this is where we spend the most time, on the shopping, wrapping (yup, we wrap them!), and enjoyment of everyone unwrapping them. We go in order from young to old (sorry, mom!) and I really enjoy all of this -- even the unwrapping of toothpaste!. I have my childhood stocking, the girls have the ones their grandmother made, and Tom has one my mom made 'specially for him. We tale a break in the middle to heat up breakfast (cinnamon/sugar monkey bread) and enjoy that while we finish stockings. Then onto the gifts. The older I get the more I enjoy seeing the smiles on people's faces when they open their gifts! There is certainly a great joy in giving. We had turkey and all the fixin's for dinner and a relaxing day over all.

"Boxing Day" had us visiting my aunt and cousins and their kiddos. I haven't seen my cousin Ted and his wife for several years, although I'd briefly seen their two kids this summer. And although my aunt, cousin, and her family live less than an hour away, the longer we live here, the less often we see one another. So that was definitely a treat.

On the 27th the girls, mom and I headed to Foley, AL for outlet shopping with the cash from Christmas and birthdays burning holes in our pockets. We checked into the hotel, grabbed some lunch, and headed to the outlet. This particular one is arranged in 2 "rings". We hit the outer one that day, had dinner and spent the night and did the inner ring in the morning. Maggie and I are in negative cash-flow, while Abby has some left. A blessing to have money to spend, and time to spend with family. Meanwhile, Tom and my dad finished painting the ceiling in my kitchen (who got the better end of that deal?).

We returned Tuesday afternoon and showed all our purchases and had a relaxing day. Wednesday saw us heading to the French Quarter. Had a nice lunch, did a bit of shopping, and attempted to get beignets at the Cafe du Monde. Line was QUITE prohibitive, so we headed to the branch in Metairie and had our donuts there.

Mom and dad left Thursday before I was awake. Talked to them a couple times on the road. Tom took the girls to see "True Grit" while I enjoyed (?) time alone to finish laundry and iron.....Today was yoga and a couple small errands. The girls have friends over to share New Years with while Tom plays a computer game and I blog and read. Typical new years in Metairie!!!!

Praying that 2011 is the best for all of us.......

No comments:

Post a Comment