Thursday, November 18, 2010

November 18 Ramblings

As I believe I've posted before, this year our Bible study is looking at the "God of the Bible" -- exploring God himself, all his facets and characteristics. It's quite fascinating. I recognize that I truly believe in the truth of the material in the Bible -- that is my starting point. I also recognize that in no way, shape, or form, do I behave as God would like me to. In his wisdom, he allowed free will and, for me, I seem to abuse it all the time. Which brings up a common question -- how can God be sovereign yet allow man to choose? Isn't it more like we're chess pieces and he's just moving us around in order to achieve his end goal? And if that's the case, why on earth do "bad" things happen? In my heart I understand this, yet cannot really explain it. In yesterday's lesson, however, the video had a good explanation that helps. Picture yourself on an airplane. During the time you are on the airplane you can choose amongst many ways to spend your time -- talking, reading, working, dreaming, sleeping -- yet at the end of the trip, you've reached your destination (I know the skeptics and cynics are out there saying "what if you're grounded due to weather?" or "what if you're hi-jacked?" -- kindly leave the room and we can differ in viewpoints). THAT's how God's sovereignty works -- no matter the choices we make along the way, we'll get to the endpoint as God intends. So there.

In other news, life here is good. It's nice to have a break between Maggie's sports seasons and have her home in the afternoons. She's taken to going to the gym a couple times a week in the afternoons to train a bit. The weather is thinking about moving towards fall temperatures, although sandals adorn my feed with some regularity! And Maggie's mid-term grade report was excellent (haven't gotten Abby's yet). Tom's home from Houston today, so life is just grand.

Oh, and it was quite convenient yesterday when my crown fell off my tooth while I was having them cleaned. Easier than making a second appointment to have it re-cemented at another time!

No comments:

Post a Comment