Friday, October 8, 2010

Bible Study and update

Once again, I am participating in a Bible Study. This year we are exploring the "One True God of the Bible". And it is fascinating. I've finally gotten an explanation around why the Bible provides validation for so many types of justification (thanks for trying, Tom!) as well as how they are all true, yet grace remains the foundation -- truly a gift from God. Whew! I knew I'd never be capable of doing it, even with His help.....

We've had lessons so far on God the Creator, God the Communicator, Worship, God's Holiness, and Grace. I'm constantly amazed as what I don't yet know. And fascinated to learn more. For me, a big reason I love the church I belong to is that it motivates me to go further into the information we hear on Sunday mornings. This study also does that for me. I am not too much a "give me more information person", so this is different for me. I was surprised when I first realized that I was receiving this gift at church (hadn't found that at other churches I'd attended or visited) -- the desire to go further -- which prepared me for the same desire as the result of this study. Fascinating to me how God's working to bring these parts of my life together right now. Definitely a blessing.

On the more trivial parts of our lives -- Abby's survived her first quarter of school, complete with her first "real" finals' week (during which regular classes are not attended, just exams are taken). No school for her today, so two friends spent the night. Interesting to listen to 10 year old girls interacting! They're on that verge between still being little girls but moving toward young ladyhood. Sigh. Maggie has exams next week. She's continuing to improve her cross country times and getting involved more at school. She wasn't home until 8 last night -- after cross country they headed back to school to watch the volleyball team (unfortunately) suffer their first defeat (required sudden death overtime!). I'm amazed at how well she's made the transition.....

Last week we enjoyed visits from my parents and Tom's dad and Kay. Maggie had grandparent's day on Friday with a performance and reception at school. I was most thrilled at how excited the girls all seemed to be to host their grandparents. The gym was truly packed with people. Maggie also had her "induction" last week where the new students are officially welcomed into the school. She was part of the processional (yikes!) where the senior big-sisters came in in cap and gown followed by the new students in their uniforms. Can't believe she's that old! Abby was in the championship game for intramural volleyball at school -- they made the finals, but lost in the 3rd, sudden death game. Abby really enjoyed it and improved over the year. Next week she's trying out for the 5-6 grade basketball team that will compete against other schools.

On Sunday we took Tom for his birthday show to see Cirque Dreams Illumination which we all enjoyed. Amazing talent as well as ability of the people -- I consider myself pretty physically flexible, but am nowhere near what these acrobats and contortionists are! The only problem we experienced was that where we were sitting we couldn't hear the vocalist over the background music very well. So while there was an underlying "story", we didn't really get too much of it.......

Quite a week -- family, school activities, birthday celebrations. When's the next holiday? I'm thankful for a day to sleep in tomorrow.......(no cross country meet!)

No comments:

Post a Comment