Tuesday, December 3, 2013

4 weeks in.....

What an amazing 4 weeks!  I continue to slowly ramp up activity and exercise and am thrilled with the progress.  Frustrated at times as well.  But I notice now that I often "forget" that I've had the surgery and automatically try to do something "normal" (but am often thwarted by an inability to move a certain way!).  Here's the bullet-point check list:


  • I'm back at the gym on the days I don't have PT!  Riding the bike, doing strengthening exercises, and yesterday I added back in some of my "normal" upper-body moves
  • I'm doing almost all my normal household activities.  I still don't quite trust myself to carry the laundry basket when it's full, so I drag it around with the handy ropes Tom attached.  
  • I'm not walking quite as fast as I once did.  Working on it.  Mom also commented that my stride is a bit off.  Working on that as well.
  • I have not been in any pain in the hip as I was before -- any discomfort has been with the incision (still healing) or just soreness around everything that was cut into.
  • I've gone the past 2 days with absolutely NO CANE USE.  It's currently sitting in the back seat of my car "in case" I get tired and need it.
  • My replacement was done from an anterior approach (front of my left hip).  It's a newer approach that provides a faster recovery and fewer long-term restrictions on movements.  My current restrictions are that I'm not to lift my leg too far behind me or point my toes outwards and lift to the side.  Unlike the more traditional side/posterior incisions I have no restrictions on bending forward to do things like put on my socks and tie my shoes.
  • The incision itself is just under 5 inches long and healing well.  It's still sensitive so I continue to wear yoga pants on most days.  Any excuse to be comfortable!
  • Compression tights need a fashion make-over -- they're widely available in white.  Sometimes "flesh".  Why not something cute?


In other news, we had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I figured out it's the first time I've hosted the holiday in the 9 years we've lived in this house.  Loved being home!  And I got to see the entire OSU/Michigan game (every other year we've been travelling that Saturday).  It wasn't a pretty game and I'm appalled at the fighting etc. but thankful for the win.  Mom and dad stayed through the game, leaving soon afterwards to begin their journey home.  Mom had been here for one day short of 4 weeks!  She's been absolutely great and I cannot thank her enough.

Now we're gearing up for the Christmas season.  The house is decorated, the shopping is somewhat started.  The girls both have their winter dances this coming weekend -- Abby's is Friday night and Maggie's is Saturday.  How'd they get so old?  Then one more week of school and then exams.  Time continues to rush by.

Hope you have time to slow down a bit and enjoy the joy of the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment