Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Living in a Super Bowl City

A short break from Mali given the mania that has overtaken this city. Never thought anything would be "more important" to the city that Mardi Gras! WOW! While we were in Mali mom sent me an e-mail stating that the Saints were in the Super Bowl -- WOW! So I told everyone in our group. Of course, they questioned who their opponent was and mom hadn't told me that piece of news! In any event, I did manage to figure that part out as well.....

In any event, we arrived home to find that about all the paper could talk about was the game, all people were talking about was the game -- who was going, who'd be watching where, where to get a t-shirt (and for those of you who were questioning the existence of "who dat" -- trust me, it's been around FOREVER -- so no, the NFL doesn't have the right to claim ownership of it!). Amazing!

So we get to game day. Maggie gets to go to a laser tag party after church, then is picked up by her friend's parents to spend the night there. Apparently, after the game they convinced the parents to take them to Academy to purchase Super Bowl shirts (my question is -- what do they do with all the shirts that were printed with the Colts winning?). Meanwhile, back at the house Tom and I watched the game (yes, Tom actually sat through a football game). Abby came in periodically to get score updates. Tom tried to call his brother after the interception/touchdown and "all circuits were busy".....Amazing!

Monday the schools were off (apparently, in Super Bowl cities it is somewhat customary to have the day after the game off). The paper was insane, my trip to the grocery was filled with people in black and gold. And the number of people who actually went to the airport to welcome the team back! I'm just amazed, but then, this IS a city that likes a party! This afternoon is the parade for the team. Ballet is cancelled so that people can attend (I'm taking a pass and may watch on TV). Not only does the city like to party, but the also like parades! Throw me something, mister!!!!!

In any event, it is exciting for the team and for the city. And I have been rooting on the home team since we moved here........Let the good times roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment